Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Hurricane Katrina Damage

Jeremy and I have a New Orleans guidebook that directed us on a driving route to see damage from Hurricane Katrina. Almost 2 1/2 years later, there is still a lot that needs to be repaired. These pictures were taken in what was a nice middle class neighborhood before Katrina. Now, it looks like a poor area of town. This area was under about 8-9 feet of water. We also drove through part of the lower ninth ward. It was mostly deserted where the major damage was. I unfortunately didn't get any pictures there.

If you enlarge this picture and look at the garage, you can see the water line. That gives you an idea of how deep the water would have been. This house was also about 5 or 6 blocks from where the levy broke.

2 comments:

ShareandRemember said...

It's hard to imagine but the pictures are interesting!

Jeff & Aleigh said...

WOW!! I bet that was an interesting drive!! I can't imagine seeing all that damage!! :(